General Tax FAQs

I didn’t receive a T4 from my employer, can I still file my taxes?

You can find all your information on the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) website. Create an account and you will be able to locate all the information associated with your SIN or ITN.


If I am filing with a spouse or common-law partner, can I file for the both of us?

For us to process the return, we will need both partners present at the clinic.  

Do I really need the prior year’s notice of assessment?

No. But if you filed taxes for 2021, this gives the Saitsa CVITP volunteers the most up to date information relating to you for the previous year file.


Can I claim my transit expenses if I have the U-Pass?

No, this was unfortunately eliminated effective June 2017.


What if I didn’t work and don’t have a T4?

You should still file as you will have your T2202A for tuition credits. This doesn’t guarantee a return, but you should still file taxes.


Can I claim my textbooks as an expense? 

No, this was also unfortunately eliminated in 2017.


I paid tuition this year, does this affect my taxes? 

Yes, this reduces the amount of taxes you will need to pay. Your tuition will show on your T2202A which you can find in your My Student account on MySait or through Office of the Registrar.

Looking for more information on taxes?

Check out these resources:

Resource Centre

MC107 Stan Grad

Monday – Friday

9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

The Odyssey Cafe & Market

NN120 Senator Burns

Monday – Thursday

7:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.

Monday – Friday

7:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.

Station Market Express

MB108 Stan Grad

Closed For Spring/Summer

Peer Support Centre

NJ105 Senator Burns

Monday – Friday

9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.