Welcome to the Peer Support Centre!
By Students – For Students. The Saitsa Peer Support Centre is a student-only, safer-space on campus that welcomes all SAIT students to gather, socialize and actively participate in initiatives that promote positive mental health and well-being. It is an inclusive and diverse space, free from discrimination based on gender, sexual orientation, race, culture, religious beliefs, physical or mental ability, socio-economic status or any other factor that would marginalize an individual group.
The Peer Support Centre offers events and programming to allow students to connect with peers, make friends and cope with stress. Events and programming are intended to promote wellness through relaxing and fun activities.
The Peer Support Centre staff and volunteers are SAIT students and are trained to be empathetic and active listeners. They are warm, caring and ready to listen and provide resources when needed.
Hours of operation in the Peer Support Centre are 9am to 5pm, drop by whenever you want and stay for as long as you want during those hours.
Student Development & Counselling will be closed starting December 24, 2021 and will re-open January 4th, 2022.
You can refer to the following free and confidential community resources if personal support is required over the holidays.
Students out of province should refer to the map at the end of the article.
What does the Peer Support Centre offer?
- A drop-in space to connect
- Peer support and connections to additional services
- Events and programming to allow students to connect with supportive peers, make friends and cope with stress
- Menstrual products and safer sex supplies
- Resources around mental health support
- Events intended to promote wellness through relaxing and fun activities
To view all ongoing Peer Support Centre events visit our events page.
What can you expect at the Peer Support Centre?
- Warm and caring staff who are ready to listen and help when needed
- Students ONLY space
- A safe and open environment; free from discrimination based on gender, sexual orientation, race, culture, religious beliefs, physical or mental ability, socio-economic status or any other factor that would marginalize an individual or group
- Programming and activities specific to student needs
- Empowering initiatives to help you actively participate in your mental health and well-being
What can the space be used for?
The Peer Support Centre is open for drop-in from 9 am – 5 pm Monday through Friday and additionally from 5 pm – 7 pm on Thursday nights for Pride. Students can participate in activities, utilize peer support services, explore resources, or just relax. It’s a great place to connect to other students in a warm and friendly environment.
How can I get involved?
The Peer Support Centre is always looking for compassionate and enthusiastic volunteers. We offer flexible shifts that work with your schedule, it is a 2 hour per week commitment. If you are interested in volunteering in the Saitsa Peer Support Centre visit our volunteer page.