March 22-26 is Nutrition Week!
We’ll be posting daily content including recipes, tips on how to build a meal plan, an educational workshop, and daily prizes!
Each day this week, we’ll be posting an Instagram contest for a chance to win a $50 gift card to Walmart, Amazon
Prepare for next week by getting the groceries needed for the recipes that we’ll be sharing!
Monday, March 22
- 6 Oz – 8 Oz frozen fruit per smoothie cup
- 6 Oz – 8 Oz almond milk or milk equivalent coconut milk, dairy milk, etc. – fill smoothie cup to fill line
- Fill blender or smoothie cup with frozen fruit (never go beyond the “fill” line on the cup)
- Add almond milk.
- Blend until desired thickness.
Peanut Butter Overnight Oats Recipe
Peanut Butter Overnight Oats
Cupunsweetened plain almond milk
- Substitute with other dairy-free
milks, such as coconut, soy, or hemp milk
- Substitute with other dairy-free
- 3/4 Tbsp chia seeds
- 2 Tbsp peanut butter
- Substitute with almond butter
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- Substitute with brown sugar or stevia
- 1/2 Cup Oats
- Substitute with gluten-free oats
- Sliced banana or frozen berries
- Sliced almonds
- In a mason jar or a small bowl with a lid, add almond milk, chia seeds, peanut butter, and maple syrup and stir with a spoon to combine.
- Add oats and stir a few more times. Press down with a spoon to ensure all oats have been moistened and are immersed in milk.
- Cover securely with a lid and set in the refrigerator overnight (or at least 6 hours) to set/soak.
Enjoy the overnight oat the next day. Feel free to garnish with desired toppings.
Tuesday, March 23
Chili (Makes about 4-6 servings)
- 1 Lb of ground beef or halal turkey (Omit if vegetarian)
- 1/2 Bottle/package of Vegetable or Chicken Broth
- 3 Cans of any beans (Kidney beans, Black beans, do a combination of a few different kinds, or the same of each)
- 2 Cans of either plain or
chili stylediced tomatoes. If you use the chilistyle tomatoes, don’t add as much chili powder
- 2 Tbsp of Chili Powder
- Add optional toppings if you’d like (Cheese, sour cream, etc.)
- In a large stockpot, cook ground beef or turkey over medium-high heat until browned, stirring frequently. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cooked beef or turkey to a separate plate and set aside. Reserve 1 Tbsp of grease in the stockpot discard the rest.
- Add remaining ingredients and the cooked beef or turkey to the stockpot and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately, garnished with optional toppings if desired. Or, store in a sealed container for up to 3 days. If you’d like to freeze this dish, you absolutely can, we recommend smaller portions frozen in a sandwich bag.
Potato Salad/ Egg Salad / Tuna Salad/ Chicken Salad Recipe
Potato Salad/ Egg Salad / Tuna Salad/ Chicken Salad (2-3 servings)
We made this recipe that is extremely versatile for any taste! If you don’t like tuna, no problem, substitute eggs. If you’re vegetarian, substitute potatoes and maybe add some chickpeas. The possibilities are endless with this dish! Try putting it on top of toasted sandwich bread, or in a lettuce wrap for a very healthy lunch! This recipe is for 2-3 servings, but if you want to make it in bulk just double everything!
- 1 Can of Tuna (drained) /1 can chicken (drained) /4 hard-boiled eggs /6 boiled potatoes
- 1/2 Can of chickpeas (optional)
- 1/4 Cup of mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp of any type of mustard (we used yellow)
- 1/2 Cup of diced/finely chopped celery (we recommend using the rest to eat with the hummus or make a big batch to last you the week!)
Cupfinely chopped cucumber (we recommend using the rest to eat with the hummus or make a big batch to last you the week!)
- 1/2 Tsp Paprika or to taste
- 1/4 Tsp dill or to taste
- Ground Pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- In a small mixing bowl break up the tuna/chicken/chopped eggs/cut potatoes with a fork. Toss with the celery and cucumber. Add the mayonnaise, mustard and season with pepper, salt, and spices to taste. Stir to combine. Again, eat on its own, on toasted bread, rice cakes
orwith cups of lettuce.
Wednesday, March 24
Canceled - Spotting the Signs and Supporting Someone Affected | 1-2:30 pm
This event has been canceled.
Join us from 1-2:30 pm for this Wellness Wednesday/Nutrition Week workshop is facilitated by National Eating Disorder Information Centre. More info + Zoom link to join here.
Burrito Bowls with Rice Recipe
Burrito Bowls with Rice
- 3 – 4 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tsp chili powder
- 1/2 Tsp salt
- 2 (15 ounce)
Cansblack beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 (15 ounce)
Canscorn, drained and rinsed
Cupred onion, chopped
- 4 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 2 Heads of romaine lettuce
- Chopped cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Sliced avocado
For Sriracha-Mayo dressing:
- 1 Tbsp Sriracha (add more for more heat)
- 2 Tbsp Mayonnaise
- Cook brown rice according to package instructions.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. On a large baking sheet, toss the sweet potato with
the oliveoil, salt andchili powder. Arrange the pieces in a single layer and bake for 30 – 35 minutes, flipping after 15 minutes. The potatoes should be lightly browned and tender when pierced with a fork.
- While the potatoes cook, prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Once your potatoes and rice are cooked, assemble your bowls: divide equal amounts of each ingredient onto each bowl. I like to start the bowls with rice and lettuce as a base and pile the other ingredients on top.
- Optionally, garnish with chopped cilantro,
freshsqueezed lime juice andsliced avocado.
Fried Rice Recipe
- Best if it is 1 day old
- Substitute with any type of rice you have
- 2 Tbsps olive oil, divided
- Substitute with any vegetable oil
Cupcooked chopped carrot
- 1 egg, beaten
- Soy sauce, to taste
- Substitute with gluten-free soy sauce
- Substitute any of the vegetables with what you have at home!
- Bell peppers
- Any frozen vegetable mixture
- Add any protein you wish
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in
panand sauté mushrooms until browned
- Remove from heat.
- Heat remaining oil in
panand add rice
- Add egg and mix until rice is thoroughly coated with egg
- Cook for 5-10 minutes on high, or until
eggis lightly browned
- Combine rice mixture and vegetable in
largebowl and stir until vegetables are well mixed
- Add soy sauce to taste and serve
Thursday, March 25
- 6 Oz Greek yogurt
- 1/2 Cup Fresh berries
- Substitute with frozen berries
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 1 Tbsp Chopped walnuts
- Substitute with any type of nuts
- 1 Tbsp Granola
- Place yogurt in a dish, top with berries and honey.
- Add optional toppings as desired.
Hummus (Makes 10-12 servings)
- 2 Cans of chickpeas
- 1 Garlic clove
- 2-3 Tbsp of Olive Oil
- 1/4 – 1/2 Cup of water
- 1/2 Tsp of salt
- Remove the skins from the chickpeas by gently pinching them until the skin comes off. Discard the skins and reserve the chickpeas.
- Place de-skinned chickpeas in a blender or food processor with garlic, olive oil, ¼ cup water, and salt. Blend or puree until very smooth, adding the remaining water one tablespoon at a time if the mixture is too sticky to move through the blender. Once the mixture is going, you can stream in a little bit more olive oil to help achieve a super creamy texture.
- Serve on pitas, crackers, veggies, or sandwiches. Adjust seasonings as you like!
Protein Balls recipe
Cupsquick oats (or gluten freeoats)
Cupcreamy peanut butter
Cupmini chocolate chips
- Combine all ingredients into a mixing bowl and stir together well until combined. Place the bowl (covered with lid or plastic wrap) in the fridge for 20-30 minutes.
- Roll into balls (slightly smaller than a golf ball). Eat right away OR store covered in the fridge for several days.
Friday, March 26
Rice Pudding recipe
Rice Pudding (6-8 servings/ about 4 cups)
Cupuncooked short-grain or long-grain white rice (we used Jasmine)
- 4 Cups milk or unsweetened non-dairy milk (we used oat milk)
Cupgranulated sugar, plus more as needed
- 1/4 Tsp salt
- 1 1/2 Tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- Add optional toppings if you’d like (cinnamon or raisins)
- Measure out the rice and milk. Place 1
Cupuncooked short-grain or long-grain white rice in a large saucepan. Add 4 Cups milkfor uncooked rice.
- Add the flavorings. Add 1/3
Cupgranulated sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add any desired add-ins.
- Bring to a simmer. Bring the mixture to a vigorous simmer over medium-high heat, stirring frequently and scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula so that the rice does not stick.
- Simmer until the rice is tender. Reduce the heat to maintain a bare simmer and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the rice is very tender and the mixture starts to thicken, 20 to 22 minutes for uncooked rice.
- Remove from the heat and stir in 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract if using. Taste and add more sugar as desired.
- Serve the rice pudding. The rice pudding will continue to thicken as it cools. Thin out with more milk if desired and serve warm or cold.
This will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. You may eat cold, but if reheating, add more milk as the rice pudding may thicken.
Berry Crisp recipe
Cupsfrozen mixed berries*, NOT thawed (about 24 ounces frozen fruit)
- 3 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- pinch of salt
Oat Crumble Topping
Cupold fashioned rolled oats
- 6 Tbsp all-purpose flour
Stick(1/2 Cup) salted butter, cold, cut into small cubes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees with the oven rack in the middle position.
- In a mixing bowl, make the berry filling by combining all ingredients and tossing to combine. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, make the oat crumble by combining all ingredients, then use your fingers to pinch the butter and incorporate
withthe dry ingredients. Keep pinching and tossing together with your hands until evenly combined. You will be left with many pea-sized pieces of butter mixed in with the oat mixture. Set aside.
- Pour the berry
filinginto a 1-1/2 quart baking dish (or 8×8 pyrex baking dish, a pie baking dish, or even cast-iron skillet). Top with the oat crumble topping,and spread to an even layer.
- Bake uncovered until the berry filling is bubbling, and the oat crumble is golden brown, about 1 hour. Let cool for 1 hour before serving. Serve room temperature with ice cream. Will keep covered at room temperature for 3 days.