What is the Board of Directors (BOD)?
The Board is the highest governing body of the SAIT Students’ Association (SAITSA) and provides the strategic direction for the organization. There are 15 Board of Directors elected each fall semester and they work collectively to represent students’ interest at Board meetings, SAIT and community events!
For full Board of Directors job description: Download PDF
Why should I be a part of the Board of Directors?
Being a member of the Board is certainly beneficial. Not only will you develop and enhance your leadership and critical thinking skills, you’ll also make new friends while improving the student experience within campus. It will also make you eligible to win several SAITSA and government scholarships & awards and not to mention that the experience will look good on your resume.
You’ll also receive $30 every meeting you attended plus the numerous professional development opportunities set specifically for the Board.
Responsibilities of Board Members
- Attend one regularly scheduled meetings per month and be an active participant in the discussion
- Sit on at least one Board committee
- Attend a two-day training retreat and other professional development opportunities
- Liaise with students to ensure they are represented and their voices are heard
- The length of a BOD member’s term is 12 months (one calendar year)
Eligibility criteria for Board Members
Students who are in good academic standing and who are SAITSA fee paying members are eligible to run in SAITSA elections.
Sign me up! Steps to take to get involved:
- Become nominated by downloading and completing the Nomination Package (only available online) and submit by the deadline.
- Attend the Candidates’ Meeting on the date specified in your nomination package.
- Talk to students and campaign!
- Vote and encourage everyone to vote!
Governance & Elections Handbook: Download PDF
To run for the Board of Directors, you must submit a completed nomination package to the SAITSA Main Office (V204) before the nomination period deadline.
Regarding Election Process (campaigning, expenses, rulings, etc.):
Chief Returning Officer, Chair of Political Committee
Regarding Executive Council positions, dates, or general information regarding Elections:
Manager, Governance & Advocacy