Let’s commemorate the 50th anniversary of Earth Day by incorporating sustainability into our everyday lives. Here are a few ideas from SAIT about how we can do this:
- Turn off all electronics before the end of the day (computers, monitors, cell phones, tablets etc.)
- Continue to buy bulk and support local businesses that are doing waste-free delivery and/or curbside pick-up. These include The Apothecary, Canary, Without Co., DYP Refillery, Nudemarket
and Community Natural Foods.
- When ordering online, request no plastic packaging, either when you order or email once you receive confirmation of your order. Compost the cardboard boxes if they’re not plastic-lined.
- Buy second-hand and vintage clothes online and support local online businesses, such as the Peacock Boutique, when purchasing clothing.
- Read books and watch documentaries on sustainability, including Minimalism and The True Costthat explores clothing manufacturing, both on Netflix.
- Take a free, online course on sustainability.
- Join online communities regarding sustainability, including Plastic Free YYC.
- Check out tips on the 3 R’s during the pandemic here!
- Reduce food waste by buying only what you need; using most or all of the food item; learning food preservation skills, such as canning and fermentation; using older food items, by sautéing and stir-frying; rotating old fridge and freezer items to the front; making a meal plan; purchasing from community food-sharing cooperatives; and growing your own food.